Your roommate. She’s your first college friend, the one who knows the most about you, and your best friend. You’ve been through everything together – your first week of classes, a multitude of Mr. Wrong’s, and each night-out-gone-wrong. She knows your coffee order AND your drink order. That’s saying something.
My roommate Emily and I were friends before college, but rooming together made us inseparable. Actually, people associated us more as a pair than as individuals. When I left to go abroad, the first thing people asked her was, “what’s it like going a whole semester without your other half?” (audience: awwwww).
Some may say that we’re too close (but we prefer the term “soulmates”). So we’ve compiled a list of 25 signs that you and your roommate are too close. Keep reading to find out if you and your roommate are “soulmates!”
1. You’ve attempted to push your beds together
Sleeping alone is just too lonely.
2. She’s the first one you tell when your boyfriend does something stupid
And she’ll proofread your angry reply to him.
3. Your boyfriends understand that you’re a package deal
She was mine first!
4. You don’t care if you strip in front of each other
Privacy? Pffftt, none of that for us.
5. You plan every meal together
And you get mad when she eats with someone else.
6. You experience separation anxiety after 2 hours apart
That English class was just way too long.
7. She knows your drinking limits
… and she likes to push you to them.
8. You vow to go to the gym together every single day
… But end up eating ice cream in bed together instead.
9. She always has an extra hair tie
For the gym, for a bad hair day, for that night you take too many tequila shots…
10. Their parents are your parents
You’re featured in more family photos than her big brother is.
11. She pretends to be your girlfriend when gross guys hit on you
Yes, we are lesbians. Now stop hitting on my girlfriend!
12. She always sings with you…
Or picks up when you forget the lyrics. Did someone say duet?
13. …because you have the same taste in music
Preferably showtunes and High School Musical ballads.
14. She’ll support your bad decisions
Because bad decisions = great stories.
15. … and help you pick up the pieces when the consequences hit
Because bad decisions also = terrible repercussions
16. You play the role of best friend, mom, and partner in crime (all in one day!)
Helped you pick out the perfect outfit? Best friend. Helped you fight that sinus infection? Mom. Get kicked out of the bar together? Partner in crime.
17. You can communicate with just a glance
Somehow you’ve developed your own form of telepathy.
18. Or you can say something that makes no sense, but she’ll still understand you
Deciphering her drunk texts is a piece of cake.
19. She knows whether you need to stay in or go out
Some nights call for Ben & Jerry’s, others call for Gin & Tonic.
20. She knew that boy was no good before you did
And she celebrated when you finally got rid of him.
21. You tell each other literally everything (sometimes probably TMI)
You mean other friends don’t send each other Snapchats like that…?
22. Her closet is your closet
Where else are you gonna find a perfect pair of shoes to go with your outfit for the night?
23. You judge the same people
And don’t have to say anything out loud because you KNOW she’s thinking the same thing
24. You plan to have kids at the same time so that they can be best friends too
Or so that they can date.
25. She knows all of your deepest, darkest secrets
Actually, she probably witnessed your deepest, darkest secrets unravel. Remember that one night that we never, ever talk about?
So what’s the verdict: are you and your roommate
soulmates too close? Can you relate to any of our roommate quirks? Do you have any other signs? Leave a comment down below!